Sunday, September 13, 2015

Working on Terra Skin Stone Paper




Peñasco     Oil/Cold Wax on Stone Paper 10.5 x 7.5
 

If you've seen my new book or my blogs, you know that I create some cold wax and oil work on Arches Oil Paper and Terra Skin Stone Paper. Both kinds of paper have excellent qualities. I find the stone paper a bit trickier but love its smooth surface and how quickly pieces on stone paper dry compared to work on panel. A reader recently asked me about a problem with the stone paper buckling. This can happen and so we need to keep the layers of oil and cw few and thin. Even so, the piece above that I did a couple of days ago buckled quite a lot. Now that it has almost dried, the buckling is almost gone. Whew! I'm going to experiment with placing several big heavy books on it when it is completely dry to see if that helps make the piece buckle-free.

My reader was working on a large piece of stone paper while mine is quite small. I'm going to test out large and small pieces and see what happens. I'll let you know. I want to keep both kinds of delicious paper open as options!

2 comments:

  1. GUESS I NEED TO CHECK OUT THIS PAPER BUT MY QUESTION WOULD BE..
    DO YOU THEN PUT THE PAPER ON A SURFACE BOARD...? HOW WOULD YOU DISPLAY THIS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often attach Arches oil paper to a board but frame the pieces on stone paper.I like to tape the edges and let them show and frame without glass. However, my taped edges don't always stay clean, so another optiion is matting and framing with or without glass.

    ReplyDelete